|It’s a great time to begin preparing your home for spring. Here are a few general home maintenance tips to consider this time of year.
- Clean the kitchen exhaust hood & filter.
- Replace the furnace filter. It may be especially filthy after the winter months.
- Inspect the roof for water damage. It’s also a good idea to check any fences, carports and sheds. TIP: check the south end of your roof first; it is the first to show wear.
- Test the batteries in all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Clear the gutters of any buildup to allow for proper functioning.
- Start the grass revival cycle by aerating, thatching and fertilizing.
- Be sure no inside or outside vents are blocked by fallen debris.
- Clean the windows and screens. Repair any holes in screens or replace them if needed.
- Inspect and repair siding and peeling paint. Fix or replace damaged siding. Strip peeling paint and replace it with a new coat.
- Check the basement for water damage. Pay attention to musty smells, water stain and damp surfaces.
- Invest in a carbon monoxide detector – every home should have at least one.